Local 525 History
United Association Local #525 was chartered on July 9th, 1938 by 12 workers engaged in the same industry that knew they would be stronger together than individually.
On the day the UA granted Local 525 their Charter, only 9 of the original 12 were able to be present to sign the petition. The next month’s cash sheet reflected all 12 and as such we recognize all twelve as our locals Founding Fathers. Our Charter is Building Trades as well as Metal Trades Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Local 525 was chartered after the construction of Hoover Dam and construction in the area was slow due to the Great Depression. Soon this would change as Southern Nevada’s role in our nation’s defense became critical with the construction of the Basic Magnesium Plant in Henderson Nevada. This plant produced many of the war time materials our nation needed for fighting two different wars. It still produces the majority of Titanium metal for our nation.
After World War II was over, Local 525’s jurisdiction was once again called upon to provide our country with the Nevada Test Site giving the USA a nuclear testing facility. In 1951, the Atomic Energy Commission, as it was then known, signed what became the nation’s first federal Project Labor Agreement with the Southern Nevada Building and Construction Trades Council. This PLA is still in effect today and has been responsible for literally millions of craft hours for the Building Trades. With the development of the Yucca Mountain Project over the past few years, the Test Site will continue to provide Southern Nevada’s union workers with good wages and benefits for years to come.
Las Vegas has grown as so has Local 525. We currently have over 1,800 members in our local. Local 525 made a commitment to Organizing in 1996 with its first full time organizer. We are actively organizing in all areas of our industry. With the massive growth in the area and the shortage of skilled manpower, Local 525 has placed itself in a position of being a major player in the industry. Recent gains have been in the service sector, both HVAC/R as well as plumbing, and in the commercial plumbing market.
Under our Business Manager’s leadership, Local 525’s members raised the commitment to organizing, purchased property and built a brand new state of the art 35,000 sq. ft. Training Facility, built and has since expanded the Michael D. McGinty Welding Shop, constructed a beautiful new Union Hall to serve us well into the future, and developed a Community Action Fund that primarily helps our members and their families in times of need and to sponsor worthy events.